When preparing to renovate your kitchen, you will need to decide on your kitchen cabinets material. You can choose from a wide range of materials but most popular from them are wood kitchen cabinets.
Many people choose wood cabinets, as there are many types of finishes and species of wood are available, allowing you to create a truly customized kitchen. After your decision of choosing wood kitchen cabinets, now you have to choose from different types of wood. Wood is a natural product therefore it will vary in texture, color and grain.
Characteristics of different types of wood for Kitchen Cabinets
- Maple- It has a smooth texture and it is lighter than cherry. It is a perfect wood for painted or stained finishes.
- Cherry- This wood has medium reddish brown color and uniform grain color. It is the most expensive and popular wood from all other wood types.
- Red oak- It has a light brown color and is rich in texture. It has a unique pattern of grain.
- Pine- It has a traditional design and is a softer wood. It has a different rustic look. If your budget is not so big, then you can go with this option. But it has a problem that it may dent or scratch more easily than other woods.
- Mahogany- This is the most expensive wood as this type of wood is becoming rare day by day. It has a deep rich reddish brown color and a different swirling grain that produces an attractive design. The luster of mahogany is very high.
Wood kitchen cabinets: Important things to know
- Many of the wood cabinets available today have plywood box construction and braces or supports to make the cost less.
- If you are purchasing a cabinet with a light or natural stain color, make sure the center panels of the doors and drawers are made out of the same wood as the frame of the door as if the center panel is veneered and the frame is solid wood, they will turn different colors as they age due to oxidation process.
- Cabinets can be constructed from any type of wood like oak, maple or birch but if you want a natural look and an eco-friendly edge look for cabinets made of bamboo or other such sustainable woods.
- Engineered made cabinets are more budget friendly than solid cabinets as they are made by laminating thin layers of wood together and then applying wood veneer outside for a professional finish.
- You can invest in solid wood or wood veneer cabinet doors and facings if you don’t want to spent money in wood kitchen cabinets but choose lower grade of wood or particleboard for the cabinet boxes.
- A soffit is a structure that bridges the gap between the top a cabinet and the ceiling. Installing cabinets without soffits will keep the cost down of your cabinet.
Advantages of wood kitchen cabinets
- Wood cabinets have a certain look of their own; they are classic and beautiful. The appearance of wood cabinets is significant and they add value to the home.
- They are not much labor intensive therefore you can find more affordable price on installation and with certain customization.
- Wood cabinets are durable and last for many years.
- Wood cabinets can support heavy countertop materials, like granite, particle board and plywood sag.
- Wooden cabinets are easy to clean.
Drawbacks of wood kitchen cabinets
- Wood kitchen cabinets can be susceptibility to damage from bug infections or moisture.
- Bugs can even chew the cabinets and water can warp, crack or otherwise damage the wood after constant exposure.
Installing semi custom or fully custom kitchen cabinet KL Malaysia can take up to three months to complete.